Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to Libby Schleichert's Home Page
All About Energy Healing & Random Personal Musings

Lucie P. Pooch

I would like to introduce you to Lucie, our beloved standard poodle, 10 years old and still lively, and eager to play ball, go for walks, and get into mischief now and then. 

Lucie exemplifies the most beloved traits of her kind: unconditional love, unwavering loyalty, and an eagerness to play and please, regardless of the circumstances. If she drops the ball during a game of toss and fetch, she doesn't flail herself for hours afterward (I can't believe how stupid I was to drop that ball. I'll never measure up as a ball-catcher. I'm just no good at ball-playing and so I'd better just give it up. I so hate myself when I screw up like that.) 

None of that guilt and self-hate. She just dashes after the long-gone ball and carries on, as if nothing had happened. Playing is way more important than worrying about one's performance, after all.

Now, as many of you know, I am an energy healer, with a small business of my own. When not enough clients appear in any given week, or when a workshop I'm giving has a particularly low turnout, my reaction is to question what I'm doing, put myself down, and think maybe I'm just no good at this energy-healing routine and perhaps I ought to apply for a job as a receptionist in a hair salon. I can spiral down and stay down quite easily, thank you very much.

Given those two very different ways of responding to perceived failure, I have to say that Lucie's is way more admirable. Ditto with the unconditional love thingie. Lucie is thrilled to see me even if I haven't vacuumed the downstairs or cleaned the car or whatever else I was supposed to have done. Does she care? Nope! She leaps all over me even if I've just run to the post office for a few minutes. You're back! You're back! Oh, goody, oh, yay, oh, bliss! 

She follows me from room to room during the course of a day. If I go downstairs to put a load of laundry in, she is right behind me. If I go upstairs to get the towels from the bathroom, up she trudges, too, making sure I'm not out of her sight. And if I finally settle down at the computer to do some work, she gives a quiet sigh and flops down right behind my chair. Finally, you're staying put! 

I've studied a lot of healing modalities and none of them can clear us to deliver this level of dedication and love  through thick or thin, disappointment, disillusionment, despair, heartache. None! 

Dogs have that uncanny ability to see only our shining qualities and to overlook a quick temper, a grouchy mood, or sullen silence. To a dog, its owner is still the most glorious human being on the planet. 

So this one's for Lucie, and for all the Lucies out there--mutts, purebreds, pooches of all sizes and shapes. 

You heal our hearts, stand by us in hard times, and adore our sad and tattered souls regardless of how beat up we feel. We owe you way more than we can possibly give back in return.

What would we do, where would we be, without you? 

1 comment: